La Ultra – The High is an ultra-marathon of 111 km, 222 km and 333 km, held in the Indian Himalayas, in high altitude desert region of Leh-Ladakh. The course crosses over the highest motor-able mountain pass in the world, Khardung La (17,700 ft).
A few numbers that make this race interesting:
- Oxygen content of air at some stages: 40% of what it is sea level
- Temperatures vary from 40 C (104 F) to minus 10 C (14 F)
- 60% higher radiation than in plans
There are 3 categories under LA ULTRA – THE HIGH:
- 111 km – one 17,400+ ft / 5,300+ m pass – 24 hr cut-off*
- 222 km – two 17,400+ ft / 5,300+ m passes – 48 hr cut-off*
- 333 km – three 17,400+ ft / 5,300+ m passes – 72 hr cut-off*
*In case of extreme weather conditions which could stop you from carrying on, time will be increased based on the ground conditions. This is totally based on Race Directors and Organizers discretion.
This is an invitation only race for the experienced ultra endurance runner. If interested, please send in your runner profile and a 100-200 word description on why you want to do La ultra – The High
We are not calling it the toughest ultra. We want you to tell us what you think.